View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 01, 2001, 12:41pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Bob,

First of all, please abide by the forum guidelines - I'm sure that you can get your point across without personal insults or attacks.

Secondly, I think that you are going to find that a LOT of officials disagree with you that profanity warrants an immediate ejection. Include me in that group... I don't think that ejecting the player is within the spirit or intent of the rules.

Rule 10 states that a player is ejected is he participates after having changed his number without reporting it to the scorer, participates after being disqualified, or is involved in a fight.

Article 8 (10-3-8) addresses unsportsmanlike conduct including "disrespectfully addressing or contacting an official", "using profane or inappropriate language", etc.

Now, I am not saying that you do not have the ability to eject a player on a single flagrant technical foul for something listed. For instance, if a player contacted me - bumped, pulled my arm around, or something similar, I think that I would probably eject them in a heartbeat. But for profanity, I'm not sure...

Remember - there is a lot of difference between "That's a f**king horrible call" or "What kind of bulls**t call is that?" versus "You are a mother f**ker" or something similar. The latter may warrant an immediate ejection, or may not, but the first two examples do not, IMHO.