Thread: Legal ball?
View Single Post
Old Sat Jun 12, 2004, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by kristal_15
Now, at my last game, Home team provided me with the 10 paneled ball and it was within regulation standards. But the coach from the Away team approched me nicely and told me that two of his pointguards really did not like the new balls and asked if we could have a 8 panel instead. I got the coaches together and told Home coach the situation. Home coach was not willing to compromise. In the end, me and my partner decided to use the 8 panel ball because we decided that this could lead to an unfair advantage for the Away team. I do know that the Home team is in fact supposed to provide the ball.As the referee, did I make the right choice?
Nope- wrong choice. See the language in case book play 1.12.3- "The referee shall make the final decision and WILL use ANY legal ball provided by the home team before selecting any legal ball furnished by the visiting team". The home team gave you a legal, 10-paneled ball to use and you gotta use it.

Welcome to the forum.

Jurassic Referee:

I agree 100% with your ruling. It was brilliant and insightful. Of course, know that we have agreed on a ruling, all of your future posts will forever be suspect.

MTD, Sr.
Nope, you agreeing with him does not make him suspect. Now, if he agreed with you...