View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by akalsey
How about some discussion on when to invoke 9.01(c)?

The view of some umps (on this board and elsewhere) seems to be that 9.01(c) is there so that when something happens in a game that they don't like, they can impose a penalty of some sort.

My viewpoint is that 9.01(c) is there to allow the ump to provide a ruling on those one in a million occurances that are not covered by the rulebook. Like when the bird flew into the path of the Randy Johnson fastball, killing the bird and causing the pitch to drop to the ground.
Or like when a runner's helmet falls off his head and interferes with a fielder who is fielding a ground ball, or when a runner overslides 2B to break up a DP and ends up so far away from the bag he can't reach. These are two cases I have already mentioned were good cases to use 9.01(c). It's not for use so I can rule on something I don't like. I don't care whether the runner's helmet falls off and interferes with a fielder fielding a ground ball. But in understanding the definition of interference I think it qualifies, but is not covered by the rules. Sliding away from the bag out of reach is covered, but oversliding out of reach is not, so why not use 9.01(c) on this if the end result is the same?

[Edited by DG on Jun 11th, 2004 at 09:53 PM]