Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:
Originally posted by chuck chopper
Totally disagree. If the Ump has the rule wrong..and the coach cannot convince him of it, and a few choice words ensue. I'm fine with the Ejection. But then to compound one error by making another is bad....I am just on the side of fairness.
Don't take this wrong, but actually you are on the side of making a mockery of an ejection.

The ejection has nothing to do with the call. It has to do with USC (bad behavior) on the part of the coach. Once the coach has been ejected, he may no longer participate in the game. That means, since he is a coach, he may no longer coach. That includes filing a protest.

Your fundamental assumption is that the umpire was wrong and therefore the ejection may result in an improper protest being filed and therefore may result in, as you say, another error.

Well, the coach should have thought of that before he made an of himself.

Sorry, fairness says the coach is gone. Gone. Done. Kaput. Finished. Goodbye.
Couldn't agree more! Being human, umpires make mistakes. It happens. However, that is not justification for a coach, player or anyone else to act like an idiot.

I cannot count how many times I've had to walk coaches or players through a request for an appeal or protest, but I will only do that if it is in a calm fashion. And before half of you jump on that, I'm not talking about "coaching" them through the process, just getting them to find the correct path to take.

For example, about eight years ago I had a slow pitch player/coach pop up to right field, turn to the side and as I was saying, "Don't do it", he threw his bat against the backstop.

Obviously, I tossed him. The coach started telling me how terrible I was, etc, etc. I ignored him and went to his assistant and told him he was now the manager and we needed to talk without the ejected player being involved, at all. They only had 10 players and I asked for a sub. They told me they would play shorthanded. I then informed them that the couldn't do that and failure to have a sub would create a forfeit. I'm not out there to declare a forfeit because of one idiot. Now, I know one of their rostered players was sitting in the stands with his leg in a brace.

This guy was having a nervous breakdown thinking it is all MY fault they were going to forfeit a game. After about the third time I repeated, "Do you have anyone here who is on your roster that can fill his place on the line-up card?" I could see the light go on. He called the injured player to the dugout and added him as a substitute. Because I don't want this kid to feel he was forced to go out and play and possibly reinjure himself, I then told the new manager that playing shorthanded is now an option.

BTW, I did this all within hearing range of the opposing manager who had no problem with it. At no point did I indicate I knew they had a player in the stands or even look that way. I just stood there in front of the dugout and asked the same question I would of any team in this situation. I just allowed him the time to gather his thoughts and run his options through his mind.

To this day, and I still see these guys, that team has no idea I helped them stay in that game even though I could have easily just walked away from the field with my money and never look back which is probably what I would have done if I were forced to deal with the idiot I ejected.
The gentlemanly thing to do. And all this time I figured you
would be a real AH in situations such as this...J/K
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.