Thread: OBS rule (ASA)
View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 11, 2004, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Reaction to fielder

When I talk about the new rule to folks I have begun by saying that it is a clarification rather than an entirely new concept. I don't know if it helps to do that, but it sure makes it easier when talking to people not familiar with the old rule (e.g., parents new to ASA, who may be more familiar with baseball and how they were "taught" to block a base).

What I've seen lately in many games (not just ours) that I'm surprised about is the failure to detect (and signal) obstruction when a baserunner reacts to an ill-positioned fielder. The new rule, for some reason, has made me even more cognizant of improper blocking of the base than ever before. Perhaps that is because I am trying to teach better fielding technique and I see other teams' players do what the (old and new) rule prohibits. For example, fearless third baseman has been taught to block her base and positions herself way out in front of the bag. Baserunner who is inexperienced, timid or surprised by the fielder's position (or all three), slows down, hesitates, or, sometimes, tries to go around the fielder. I've even seen the baserunner in that situation slide two feet short of the base. All because the fielder is in the way. Without a collision, I've seen the runner called out just about every time. The hesitation and other reactive manuevering by the baserunner many times allows the ball to arrive before the baserunner and so the baserunner looks like dead meat. My point is that the intimidation resulting from the ill-positioned fielder can result in a skirting of the rule, because obstruction is not being called on the baserunner's reaction. Which rewards the third baseman's aggressiveness. And makes me wonder if I'm teaching the wrong technique to our fielders.

Any suggestion for discussing this situation with the umpire during the game?