View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 01, 2001, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Carl Childres (quoted):
But a continuous event ends the instant a second event occurs.

Kill the ball, enforce the balk. Jim Evans, Jim Porter, and Carl Childress all agree.

__________________________________________________ ___

And what exactly do you say to the runner, who started the play by running to 2nd base and has yet to stop (unless he got there before F1 threw ball into centerfield)? He thinks he is still running since his legs are still moving. He hasn't stopped since he started. He thinks he has made a continuous effort toward 2nd as he sees that ball flying toward centerfield. He thinks he wants to continue(ous) toward 3rd base. He's already gotten what he would have received in award from the balk, but he wants more. Why do you impose yourself midstream into this on-going play?
__________________________________________________ _______

NAPBL 6.7 (quoted):

"... The ball becomes dead when the umpire calls "Time" following the call of balk, and the call of "Time" is to be made only when play stops." (my emphasis)
__________________________________________________ _________

I see the runner as initiating the immediate playing action by attempting to advance (i.e. the offense is initiating the "continuous event", as you call it) and he has not yet started a 2nd action nor completed his first action (obtained and stopped at 2nd base). You seem to be wanting to ignore that the offense is part of this playing action. In fact, the offense initiated this immediate action. Are they no longer part of this play or game?

I am not yet willing to accept this in the manner you have stated it. Can you provide the exact wording of the JEA clause (in context) that justifies killing this play midstream?

Just my opinion,

Steve
EWS

[Edited by Bfair on Mar 1st, 2001 at 07:59 AM]