View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 10, 2004, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
Quote:
Especially if you get out fast!!
Now might be a good time to discuss different philosophys of exiting a game...H.S. Varsity games that is.

Some officials like to sprint to the locker room, as fast as they can, a few not even looking to see where their partner is...just sprinting!

Some officials like to loligag(sp) around, getting the ball, taking it to the bench, walking off the court like a stroll in the park.

I like somewhere in between the above two examples...take a quick peek at the scorer's table as you are checking with your partner's location...and then JOG, not sprint, with your partner off the court.

IMO, sprinting gives the impression you are running away scared. I know we like to get out of there, because the longer we hang around something ugly can happen that we might have to deal with (that's why I don't condone casually walking off either)...but sprinting just dosen't look good, IMO.

If you are working with an official that does either of the two extremes...mention your exit strategy in pregame...and come up with something that works for both of you.

I had a game last year - home team down by 2 under 5 seconds. I'm T on table side. The ball swings to the shooter in front of me, I take a few steps to my right to get an angle. Shot goes up over the defender ("THAT'S A FOUL!!" I hear from the bench just behind me), I put one arm up, buzzer, ball goes in, I put my other arm up & turn to jog off.

As I turn I was swallowed by home team bench & fans coming onto the floor. As I finally got out of the crowd I could see my partners, on the other side of the door, laughing at me.