View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 09, 2004, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
[B
I think that's what is meant. There are some that you just have to go get....rare but sometimes necessary. B1 hits A1 in the face and there's blood spraying from the nose. You saw the contact and give you partner a chance to call it. He doesn't. You have to jump on it. It's not about his/her area. It's about doing the right thing for the kids.

This one is pretty extreme but there are several more that I could think of.
If it is a non-basketball play then go get it. Other than that, no we shouldn't and no there aren't many other situations. Your partner is getting paid too so he/she should do their job. I'm sure some will disagree with this but I think planning for no calls out of my area and adjusting to a few is far better than planning on a few and making many. Discipline, discipline, discipline. Crew concept, primary, ref the defense, focus.
[/B]
I'm not talking about a non-basketball play such as a punch. I was talking about a swat at the ball but accidently but forcefully making contact with the face. (Several other more typical examples could be made but this one was simply to illustrate the obviousness of the contact.)

I agree that we shouldn't be looking to call something in front of our partners and should indeed plan not to. But, when we do see something that is more than marginal that everyone in the gym but our partner saw and we are 110% sure about it and 110% sure they they blew it, it is our job to call it.

They hire us to refereee the entire game for them, not just 1/2 (1/3) of a game. We work together as a crew and sometimes we pick up for each other. To not make a call that we know is the right call just because it was in front our partner is not doing the best job for the game.

There's no such thing as "it's not my call" if you see it. However, there is such a thing as "I wasn't looking there" or "I couldn't tell from here, my partner was in a much better spot." Coaches appreciate the honesty.

I've missed calls that partners have picked up. My response was "Thanks". Sometimes I was looking at something else or even just simply had a brain fart.

However, I don't like someone blowing in my area just because he's got a faster whistle than me. I worked with a guy last year who I could swear was doing it on purpose to make it look like he had to cover my area and that I was missing the calls. He beat me to the wistle too many times to count on stuff right in front of me and I wasn't that slow with it. With that and other comments throughout the game, it was clear it was his ego he was working on rather than the game.