View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 28, 2001, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Facts, who's facts?

My, my, my. First, I’m not a Texan. The state I live in leaves right to carry up to the arbitrary decision of the local police, and history has shown their judgment to be truly arbitrary, with no rhyme or reason behind it.

However, your “facts” are selectively chosen, and sloppily applied.

Quote:
Using cross-sectional time-series data for U.S. counties from 1977 to 1992, we
find that allowing citizens to carry concealed weapons deters violent crimes, without
increasing accidental deaths. If those states without right-to-carry concealed gun
provisions had adopted them in 1992, county- and state-level data indicate that approximately
1,500 murders would have been avoided yearly. Similarly, we predict
that rapes would have declined by over 4,000, robbery by over 11,000, and aggravated
assaults by over 60,000. We also find criminals substituting into property
crimes involving stealth, where the probability of contact between the criminal and
the victim is minimal. Further, higher arrest and conviction rates consistently reduce
crime. The estimated annual gain from all remaining states adopting these laws was
at least $5.74 billion in 1992.
Source: Lott, John R. and David B. Mustard. “CRIME, DETERRENCE, AND RIGHT-TO-CARRY
CONCEALED HANDGUNS.” Journal of Legal Studies, vol. XXVI (January 1997). University of Chicago Law School, University of Chicago Press, Journals Division. Available Online: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JLS/lott.pdf

The Clinton administration had a thoroughly abysmal record of enforcement of gun control law violations. If there are any examples at all of Brady Law violators actually being prosecuted, it is in the single digits. Further, the much vaunted 100,000 cops turned out to be all talk and little or no results.

But, it certainly felt good to pass that law, didn’t it? It MUST have done some good, because it FELT so good, right?