View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 28, 2001, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy me oh me oh my.....

Do not be delude by what you read, re:
"You'll have to take your complaint up with the FBI. They have statistics for crimes committeed with guns for the first three years of operation of the Brady Bill. (Today is the fifth anniversary of its becoming law.)"
For many years I just happened to be privy to one of the sources from which those FBI stat's were complied. Like many companies, police agencies are no different when it comes to budgets and funding since alot depends on various statistics. So, don't think for one New York minute that those figures are not compiled in a favorable manner. The final FBI tally is insignificant to those composing the local figures.
These figures are compiled from law enforcements agencies nationwide, and I don't even want to think of what the accuracy is on those FBI's figures, these aren't conducted by the Gallup polls with a +/- 3 %.

Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Childress
It publicizes certain crimes and the increased punishment, which may serve as deterrent.
OK, since this has gotten more broadly political, with the bringing in of gun and hate laws, IF the above assertion is true, then it should be possible to demonstrate this through a reduction in gun crimes after new gun laws are passed. I challenge anyone to demonstrate this.
Well, Dakota "sounds" like a fellow who might pack, you bet. And you could do it Texas, by golly.

You'll have to take your complaint up with the FBI. They have statistics for crimes committeed with guns for the first three years of operation of the Brady Bill. (Today is the fifth anniversary of its becoming law.)

Wouldn't you know it? Crimes involving guns decreased each of those three years, according to that source.

As Casey Stengel was wont to say: "You could look it up."

Now, I'm not going to argue that the Brady Bill was the "only" factor that helped decrease gun crimes. The president's relentless intent to put more and better police on the streets was no doubt a factor also.

But it would be too much to say that the Brady Bill and decreased gun crime was pure coincidence. Agreed?

It's a bit away from baseball, but it's relevant to what most hate-crime legislation accomplishes; that is, to bring into the open crimes against a particular class simply because the victim belongs to that class.

Would anyone deny that most assaults against sports officials occur because of a decision they made in a game? Aren't some people attacked just because they are black, or Jewish, or gay?

If you think the answer to those questions is "No," then you should continue your argument against special laws. But if you think the answer to any one of those questions is "Yes," then you ought to join me and others in pressing for special legislation for special groups.

Sports officials is one of those groups.