View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 08, 2004, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:
Originally posted by James V
The ball was dropped as a result of the Bump (collision) by the runner. The catcher had the ball in the glove under control waiting for the runner.

Still safe??
If it were a slide, yes. Otherwise, no (8.7.Q).

Now someone is going to argue the word "crash". The rule book does not offer such a definition. I will hang my hat on the runner remaining upright and it being a fact that the fielder was not losing or never had control of the ball prior to attempting to apply a tag.

Why so tough, you may ask. Because it creates inconsistent rulings if we allow each umpire to determine how rough contact is too rough to be considered incidental. This isn't as situation as describe on page 233 of this year's book where collision courses are part of the game as each player has particular rights. As I read the scenario, the runner had the option of going over, under, around, sliding through the fielder or reversing her direction. Running into the player, no matter how innocent really isn't an option.

It depends. If the runner was trying to avoid F2 by going around her, and F2 reaches out to tag and loses the ball, SAFE.