View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 27, 2001, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
An Attitude of Respect

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Mills

...If civil laws don't apply on the field, why do officials need liability insurance? Why do teams? In amateur sports, when illegal acts that result in injury are committed, and the victim proves malicious intent or reckless disregard for safety, perpetrators are indeed punished, both criminally and civilly. Let's watch the Wichita State case.

Just wondering if you could provide a brief overview I do not recall what the Wichita State case concerns.

Quote:
It is already against the law to batter a sports official in every state. People inclined to hit the umpire ignore those laws--just as they will ignore any new law. They are criminals, and by definition they don't obey laws.

I am not sure how many people who resort to violence at sporting events, such as the father who killed the ice hockey coach in Massachusetts, are "repeat offenders". I could actually foresee signs being placed on backstops right next to the field # advising someone of the penalties of assaulting an umpire. That could be preventative.
Quote:
The fact that convictions are not won speaks to the attitudes of prosecutors, judges and juries. No new law will change that.

I think that is a terrific point. I think it is covered by Warren as "mindset". We see these negative attitudes in how officials are treated in American advertising. Somehow if your team didn't win it must have been the official who screwed you. Couple negative "mindset" or attitude with beer and you have potential for a real explosive situation.

Quote:
Homosexuals and blacks are sometimes battered before cheering crowds in this country. The behavior is every bit as illegal when inflicted upon them as when it is upon officials, or Joe Citizen. We passed laws making them each a protected class. The behavior has not abated.

I think that part of the movement toward national legislation to protect against crimes based upon a victim's sexual orientation is born not so much out of protecting a specific class but because some prosecutors at the local level have chosen not to prosecute or have sought the lowest penalty. I understand the position that these individuals do not need "special laws" just as I can see why someone would believe laws on the books already protect sports officials. If however you are an Asian American who was singled out for attack and your local district attorney does not pursue justice for you it may need further redress.

Quote:
Officials, like players, are indeed expected to recognize that the activity in which they voluntarily participate subjects them to comments that in other circumstances are recognized as assaults. No officials (well, maybe South American and European soccer referees) operate in an environment in which battery is to be routinely accepted as an inherent risk of the profession, and not actionable in court.

I throw out about one player or coach each year. The one I ejected last year was a 14-15 yr old in the top of the last inning of a blowout. He was out at first and in a voice only the coach and I could hear he told me that was the second call I had blown. I just didn't need to hear a snotty nose kid on that day give me his two cents. When the team tied it up and Johnny couldn't go out on the field the coach told me "..You have to take something.". Have to take? I don't think so. (See mindset) Jim Simms/NYC