View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 27, 2001, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation one missed point.....

Quote:
Originally posted by PeteBooth
Originally posted by Jim Mills

I have written my legislator urging her not to support any such legislation. It is already illegal to physically abuse a sports official in every state--in the same manner in which battery against anyone is generally illegal. If the law enforcement establishment doesn't enforce what is already on the books, what makes anyone think they will enforce a new one with any degree of regularity or consistency? I dislike incidents of battery against umpires as much as you do, but my role as citizen outweighs that of sports official.

I must say I agree with Jim; but, sad to say most of society it seems does not.
As to your statement Pete - re:
This might be farfetched but if someone isn't going to help the official, it won't be long before officials "take matters into their own hands" and then let's see what happens.
I submit that officials have already begun to act. When was the last time you hear any association or school state there was an abundance of officials on hand for the games? Oops, make that "ex" officals! jmo.....

Jim, the problem too many people who are abusing officials get a mere slap on the wrist . Unfortunatley, when something bad happens, then someone will jump on it . I have had 1 bad experience. The 3rd base coach picked up at bat and took a few steps towards me, but then he dropped it on his way to his car.

We have enough to worry about without having to "fear for our lives". This might be farfetched but if someone isn't going to help the official, it won't be long before officials "take matters into their own hands" and then let's see what happens.

If more and more people got jail time for these ludicrous acts perhaps coaches / players / spectators would think twice about attacking an official.

Pete Booth