View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 04, 2004, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
In reality, certain officials can call multiple fouls depending on the league, game and stature of that official. An official can get away with it but that does not mean officials do it.

I'm interested in hearing how many times this has been called too.
I've never seen nor have I called a multiple foul. I have, however, seen a false multiple foul called. (Contrary to Dexter bingo predictions, I was not the one who called the foul.)

Two whistles at the same time, both for offball fouls, the crew conferenced, reported both, then administered both penalties. The bigger discussion among the evaluators and refs standing around was what would happen if one foul was the 9th and the other was the 10th (or 6th and 7th) - who shoots which; do you do 1-and-1, then 2; is the lane cleared for any of the shots; etc.?

I would bet that nearly every one of us who have worked more than a few games have called a false multiple foul.

The following are all false multiple foul:

• A1 commits a foul. Before the ball is touched inbounds on the ensuing throwin for B, A2 fouls.

• B3 commits a foul. A2 is to shoot FTs. Before someone touches the ball on the rebound of the last FT, B5 commits a foul.

• B2 commits a foul. A1 is at the line shooting. Makes the first. A takes a timeout. A1 makes the 2nd. B3 commits a throwin violation. A2, during the throwin, holds the ball across the line when B2 ties it up. Arrow to B. B1 now making the throwin when B4 sets a bad screen to free up the point guard. Foul on B4.

Essentially, when you have two fouls on the same team (could be the same player even) with the same time on the game clock, they are a false multiple foul.

Just for kicks try this one on:

B2 fouls. During the FTs for A1, A2 fouls B3 (B in the bonus). Finish the FTs for A, now go to B's end. B3 shooting 2. Before the ball is touched inbounds after the FTs, B5 fouls A4. A4 now at the line when A1 fouls B3.

Summary: Fouls on B2, A2, B5, and A1 all with no time off the clock. What's that one?
  • __________________
    Owner/Developer of RefTown.com
    Commissioner, Portland Basketball Officials Association