View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 04, 2004, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ecurebel
In a Babe Ruth game I saw this play last night that i was watching but not working. with less than two outs R1 on first base is forced to go to second by batter/runner. R1 overslides second base purposely breaking up the double play and taking the fielder out. the base umpire did not see this because the bag had already been tagged and he was moving into position to view a throw to first for the double play. he realizes the ball was not thrown and the two players are laying on the ground. if he did not see the play at second can the plate guy make a call on it? or does the base guy have to appeal his call at second for a double play interference on the runner to the plate guy since he could not see the interference?
I can see already that a lot of what happened, was do to inexperieced officials.

First mistake. No baseball, no play. Had the BU followed the ball, which in this case meant watching the fielder release the ball to first, which did not happen, he would have seen the collision and been able to rule on the interference at second.

Second, todays mechanics are to have the PU come out from behind the plate, I repeat, for those that never move, COME OUT FROM BEHIND THE PLATE. Watch the action at second base and then rule accordingly if any interference takes place. It is the responsibilty of BOTH officials to make this happen. I worked with a partner that came alomost to the mound and assisted verbally by saying that "it was clear at second." Teamwork.

This is how it should happen.