View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 03, 2004, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by UmpireBob
As I was reading 7.05, I came to the conclusion that I needed to ask others with experience on this issue. Specifically, I was looking at LLB 7.05(h), which states:

"Each runner including the batter-runner may, without liability of being put out, advance (h) one base, if a ball, pitched to the batter, or thrown by the pitcher from the position on the pitcher's plate to a base to catch a runner goes into a stand or a bench, or over or through a field fence or backstop. The ball is dead;"

If I'm reading this correctly, a batter who had just come up, would be allowed to advance to first base if a pitched ball were to be thrown over the backstop, or if the pitcher were to throw the ball out of play in the attempt to pick off a runner at third. In either case, the batter has done nothing to warrant being granted first base. Note (1) under 7.05 in the LLB rulebook notes this as well.

Am I interpreting this rule correctly???
Negative. 7.05 starts with "Each runner including the batter-runner". The batter is not a "batter-runner" in this situtation. He needs to hit the ball or become a batter-runner for some other reason (ie walk). Otherwise, he is just a batter. Think about it! How many times have you seen a batter awarded 1B for anything other than a hit by pitch, or walk? How many batters have you seen awarded 1B because of a pickoff throw that went out of play?