View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 02, 2004, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by footlocker
I am uncomfortable refereeing a game with this philosophy. If it is true that Hollins "admitted that refs gather and make sure when a star player has five fouls that the sixth is a sure foul and not a ticky-tack foul," then I have to chalk it up to good business management. After all, the NBA is a business and they, better than I, know what sells.

However, I will not ref this way for a HS contest. The two are different. I cannot extrapolate that I should take on traits of NBA officials simply because it is a higher level of basketball. I officiate under the belief that all fouls should be called based on their own merit and applied equally to all players. As much as this is possible, I referee this way.
I hate to tell you but College Ball is business, and increasingly so is High School. I will reiterate that it is good game management to know how many fouls there are and who has them. For example player (star) just picks up #4 and coach wants to substitute but maybe the player isn't to the scoretable per rule.... I will let the sub in. I dont want to have the playr foul out especially if coach is trying to replace him/her.

You have two players involved on a play B1 and B2 and they both smack A1 in the act of shooting at the exact same time. Who do you call the foul on or do you call a multiple foul? (yeah right) So you pick one... Now throw into mix B1 has four fouls B2 has 2. Who you going to pick?

The point of this thread is that and I think it is a good rule in refereeing is that if a player is going to foul out, it needs to be an obvious foul.

Here is an example. When I am on the floor, I look hard and early for an off ball call. On a marginal pick I may call some slight contact. It may just barely impede the defensive player, but I call it early. Now the coaches know we are watching off ball and will not put up with the marginal pick (if you let a margina one go they surely get worse) However middle of third quarter I probably will not foul a player out on the slight contact. As mentioned before you will need to be able to see it from more than the first row..

Sometimes players do dumb things. I fouled out a player a couple of weeks ago (starting center)... My partner calls 2 away from play pushes. I get him for two pushes at ball. It is a close game and they are working it around. The center sets an ugly pick that takes the defender completely out of the play. #5 and now he is gone....He earned the foul. His coach hated it (said I was picking on his player) but never once did he say it was not the right call...

This is good game management just like knowing how many time outs a team has left. How many team fouls each tem has, who has the arrow, who has delay warnings and for what. Without knowing this you will call in a vaccuum and most of the time this turns out ok, but there will be the close ones every now and then that with out knowing whats going on out there the mistakes will be made that viewed in retrospect will be serious mistakes that could have been corrected by having good game awareness and game management skills