View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 02, 2004, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

5th/6th foul

I agree with ACE, this is a game management situation. The higher up the ladder we go, the more conferences we work, the more important it is to be aware of this type of situation.

As an example, I was working a playoff game this past year. Winner goes to state, loser goes home. The point guard of one of the teams picks up their 4th foul early in the 3rd qtr. Coach removes the player and the visitors start to exploit the new match up. A few minutes later the point guard re-enters the game. Definitely a coaching strategy filled with potential danger. There is a timeout called. My partner and I get together and discuss a couple of things and this situation. We agree that if the player is going to pick their 5th, it is going to be one that can be seen from the concession stand. Sure enough, with 2 minutes to go in the third, the point guard runs over the defense on a drive to the basket. The easiest call of the game.

It is just good game management or preventative officiating to be aware of as many situations as possible (ie, timeouts, AP, team fouls, player fouls).