View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

LT,

Problem is we may be complaining to the wrong people. The NCAA doesn't have a contract with ESPN. Their contract is with CBS Sports.

The NCAA championships which CBS chooses not to cover is subcontracted to ESPN. Granted, ESPN usually does an outstanding job with these championship tournaments regardless of audience as they demonstrated with the Lacrosse Championships.

I'm curious as to why these announcers did such a great job, yet in softball, they put a group of popular softball names no the air, but with zero backing of anyone with substance. Are they more intelligent of their game or do they just care more about it's integrity?

As we all know, the only things on TV are programs which draws sponsorship regardless of popularity. Money talks on TV and that is the bottom line. ESPN has an obligation to televise the entire package if they want any of it and that is fine. However, I doubt that I am the only one who noticed the repetition of quite a few of the commercials during the softball tournament. To me, that indicates marketing sponsorship is lean and may be a problem in the future. I hope not, because I enjoy watching the games in spite of the announcers. Of course, I can't turn down the volume or I wouldn't have anything to ***** about

Here's hoping they can continue coverage in the future and somewhere along the way, someone figures out that they need some brains in the booth, not just pretty faces.

Of course, JMHO,