View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drinkeii

In high school football rules, what would the ruling on this be? I called pass interference, and since it was in the endzone that it occurred, I gave them the ball on the one yard line (our rules say defensive pass interference is enforced from the spot of the foul, and an automatic first down - we don't really have a rule saying that you would bring it out of the endzone in that case, but it seemed like the right thing to do).

Any ideas or rulings from high school football apply? Thanks for any help in advance.

drinkeii,

Assuming that you had a defensive pass interference foul (DPI) (I'll let the others debate the pros and cons above), here are the possible enforcements:

1. NFHS rules - DPI is 15 yds from the previous spot, automatic 1st down. Keep in mind that you may have to enforce it as half the distance from the previous spot if the snap was inside B's 30 yard line.

2. Some high schools use the NCAA college rules. If you are using these rules, then it becomes more involved depending where the snap occured. Assuming the snap was at the B-17 or closer to the B goal line, then DPI in the end zone is an automatic first down at the B-2. A 1/G @ B2. If outside the B-17, then it's 15 yds from the previous spot, no half the distance provision (take the full 15 yds).

Also, as suggested above, in order to have DPI in NCAA, the pass much be catchable. In NFHS, there is no such provision.

Hope this helps.