Thread: Sportsmanship
View Single Post
Old Fri May 28, 2004, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

He didn't want to tell his kids to quit playing (a good way to get hurt in football ... quit trying your hardest while the other team IS still trying) - but he didn't want to embarrass the other team any further. (It would probably have been more insulting for him to be downing the ball with 5 minutes to go, or punting on 1st down).

And yes - I dropped a flag on that touchdown, and we dropped a couple more before it finally ended. And I'm positive he wasn't thinking, "What a weak ref".

This same coach, in another game, was way ahead, and his kicker inadvertently kicked what ended up looking like an onside kick to his side of the field. His boys were about to recover and he started yelling at them - GET AWAY FROM IT!

Sportsmanship is not dead. I have one team who when they hit a batter, the pitcher immediately comes up to apologize and make sure the girl's ok. Might not work when she gets older, but her heart's in the right place (and this girl flat outclasses her peers at this age group).