View Single Post
Old Wed May 26, 2004, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ace
BktBallRef - This is something I pulled out of the NBA rulebook - I din't see the play but based on your description of the play Madsen was engaged in; it was leagal if it was how you describe it.

Rule 12.B.1.b

b. Contact initiated by the defensive player guarding a player with the ball is not legal. This contact includes, but is not limited to, forearm, hands, or body check.
EXCEPTIONS:
(1) A defender may apply contact with a forearm to an offensive player with the ball who has his back to the basket below the free throw line extend-ed outside the Lower Defensive Box.
(2) A defender may apply contact with a forearm and/or one hand with a bent elbow to an offensive player in a post-up position with the ball in the Lower Defensive Box.
(3) A defender may apply contact with a forearm to an offensive player with the ball at any time in the Lower Defensive Box. The forearm in the above exceptions is solely for the purpose of main-taining a defensive position.
(4) A defender may position his leg between the legs of an offensive player in a post-up position in the Lower Defensive Box for the purpose of main-taining defensive position. If his foot leaves the floor in an attempt to dis-lodge his opponent, it is a foul immediately.
(5) Incidental contact with the hand against an offensive player shall be ignored if it does not affect the player's speed, quickness, balance and/or rhythm.
Sorry ace but I disagree. Like you said, you didn't see it. Each section of this rule reads, "a forearm" or "one hand." Such was not the case. Madsen had both forearms in O'Neal's back and was pushing. If Shaq had stepped forward, Madsen would have fell on his face.

[Edited by BktBallRef on May 26th, 2004 at 08:50 PM]