View Single Post
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Robmoz
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
[QUOTE...director of the WIAA has often been quoted as saying, "if there is a collision and a body hits the floor, there had better be a whistle." This has been repeated several times by clinicians at the WOA camps as well.
Z
Wow, to paint with such a broad brush your leadership seems to have put a damper on the whole concept of a good screen. Screening is an integral part of the game and if set properly I do not see why the whistle has to blow to stop the play regardless of a body hitting the floor. Afterall, basketball IS a contact sport - to some extent. Perhaps the mandate was designed given with protection of the defender in mind, but with a blind screen collision foul called on the defense it seems to penalize the player the mandate intended to protect...how ironic.
Actually, I think the mandate was given to help with rough play which was a POI for so many years. The college philosophy had drifted down to HS and way too many block/charge situations were being "no-called." At the high school game, I have no problem with that philosophy.

Z