Thread: eject or not?
View Single Post
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Encouragement

Quote:
Originally posted by umpguy2190
What about this, in a recent little league game, the 3rd base coach ran all the way to about 1 foot from the plate during a play at home. I warned the coach, was that the right thing to do?

By the way, the coach DID NOT interfere with the play, and the kid was out regardless. So there was no interference.

-John
At your level he was likely only trying to encourage his wee toddler to run... get home. But as others have noted this is a pretty serious violation. I might give a sterning warning in a little league game and possibly eject the next time you saw it... Well I don't do little league, so I wouldn't do anything.

In a slightly higher level game where the runner knows how to run, Babe Ruth and up, I would likely immediately eject the coach and probably call a runner out. This is a form of interference and can potentially draw a throw from the defense - a throw to an inappropriate location, at the coach, and thereby allowing other runners to advance. Can him!

[Edited by DownTownTonyBrown on May 25th, 2004 at 11:00 AM]