View Single Post
Old Mon May 24, 2004, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TravelinMan

So Jim what you are saying is that the officials were not calling fouls that in your estimation should have been called. Hmmmmmm....were they "missing" these calls on both ends of the floor? Were you an "objective" observer? (if there is such an animal).

__________________________________________________ ______
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."--Mark Twain
I was sitting to the right of the basket, close to the floor. Normally when I watch youth basketball I'm at the scorer's table at the center of the court, or I'm higher up behind the end line. This is probably why I've never noticed this before.

When I referee, it is almost always a one-man game at a rec league, so I'm not too aware of two-man mechanics, particularly at this level. I was watching the boys' games to show my youngest what the level of play was like at 16U, and the girls games because I had an errand to attend to in the facility, so I had no rooting interest and I guess I was objective as anyone can be.

The non-calls involved both teams, but I really couldn't say what happended on the other end of the floor, since I couldn't see that far. The plays were not instances of two players beating the refs down the floor, but three-on-two breaks and four-on-two breaks after steals from pressing. The lead officials (all in pretty good shape) were invariably still behind the action when the shots were taken (New York City 16U AAU is about equal in speed to D1 NCAA, so this is not surprising), and when the lead official was coming up the left side, I couldn't see him, so I figured they couldn't see the action in front of me. In effect, both lead and trail are behind the action. I saw significant contact that I would have called a foul, but it also appeared to me that there was no way it could be seen by the lead official, and that the trail official was still back by the other foul line, primarily watching the trailing players. In the 14U girls games, this was not as frequent a problem, but was still noticeable on occasion, especially since I was more aware of the situation after Friday night's games.