View Single Post
Old Fri May 21, 2004, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
OK, I worked the GD for a 14-15 YRO BR game today.

Both teams had monster size catchers. Just what I have been looking for to give this system a final test.

95% of the time, I could see the plate just fine, no problem.

5% of the time, the catchers would set up high and inside and the plate would completely disappear ! The funny thing was, I didn’t care. I new exactly were the plate was and I had no trouble calling the pitches. After a couple of pitches where I was blocked, I learned to make a slight height adjustment so I could see the two front corners of the plate through the gap between the catcher’s helmet and his shoulders. I don’t know if this was the correct way to compensate, but it worked and I had zero complaints on my pitch calling. I only felt like I missed one high pitch on a tall batter that should have been a strike.

Well, there was one pitch that was belt high and inside that I called a ball. The defensive coach shouts “Oh god, how could you call that a ball ?” The catcher stands up, looks at me and says, “How could you not call it a ball, it almost hit the batter ?” We just laughed and continued on. Sometimes I really love working with these kids.

So, I think I am going to stick with it. I had 7 ½ successful years working the slot, but I think the GD system is better. You just can’t beat the view. I don't know my position assignments for my HS playoff games yet, but if I draw a plate, it's the GD for sure.

Nick