View Single Post
Old Wed May 19, 2004, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

And I wasn't even there.

I get to have unpleasant conversations with one of my umpires, and the league president this morning. Yeah me.

Background - 2 weeks ago, League President (LP) was at a game where one of my umpires was working plate. Our rules state that if at any point, one team is not able to catch up (either not enough time or not enough remaining innings), the game is over. PU did not notice that as time expired, the visiting team was behing by more runs than our run rule allows. LP called out "Ballgame!!!" from behind the fence at home plate. Of course - no one brought this to my attention... I'm learning of it now.

1) Scorekeeper should have notified PU of the sitch.
2) Failing that, I really don't have a problem with LP notifying PU that the game was out of reach, but PU should have been the one to call the game over.

Neither of these happened, and no one explained to my PU (who, incidentally, is not a novice) why he was calling the game over. Apparently, PU assumed that we had some bizarre rule that when time expired, game was over. Period. Since this was never brought to my attention - I never had the chance to discuss it with either party.

Now - last night
Same PU, LP not in attendance. Visitor winning 6-5, home team about to bat as time expires. PU calls "BALLGAME!"

Great. Yes - he screwed up. Home team coach (not normally a hothead) goes ballistic for several minutes before PU ejects him, and for several minutes afterward. This is the second instance in 8 days where I was not at a game and a coach went off on an umpire after a game ended.

So now... the fun conversation with my PU about the rules, and an equally fun conversation with LP about 1) let the umpires call the games and 2) get your coaches under control.

Yuck.