View Single Post
Old Tue May 18, 2004, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Theisey
Interesting point Ed. That was the precise reasoning used by a CUSA official in a game I worked with. He was the FJ and I was the SJ.
He said "they" do not blow the whistle at all on Trys. The play kills itself. Sure enought, on every kick since none were blocked, the players just picked themselves off the ground and headed off to the bench area.
The Ref was having some fits over this, but was convinced by the FJ not to worry about it.

At the NF level, its my opinion the whistle has to be blown. Especially on a blocked try. Too much extracurricular activities start to occur when team B starts a runback.
We don't even let them get to the ball.
OK. When B gets the ball and starts that 100-yard runback...time to blow the whistle.

Otherwise, there is another sounding device we carry that in my belief is not used enough...the voice.

As the WH I always tell the players when the ball leaves the area with something like "It's gone", "It's over", etc.

The umpire should clean up with "Let's go, play is over" or some such statement loud enough for players to hear and heed.

If you use that on a try, you don't need a whistle because the downfield players are just going to turn and run to the bench.