View Single Post
Old Mon May 17, 2004, 10:11pm
9 times

As someone who has dealt with chronic plantar fasciaitis for the past 3-4 years, I'll give you my opinion. If the pain is so bad that you notice it while running and it is distracting you, I would seriously examine what other options are available to you. Second and third opinions are great, but be sure that you are seeing drs that you want to see. My podiatrist is a former college athlete. That is important to me. He understands that I will not just take 6 months off from physical activity and that my recovery/PT/rehad will need to relect that.

That being said, you have to decide how much pain you can live with. I would be very leery of a dr who offers to move nerve endings and would do a lot of homework/research before I would submit to that surgery. I knew going into my foot surgery that I might never be pain free again (and I am not--I still feel every step I take with my right foot), but my pain is at a very acceptable and manageable level. I have had to curtail the number of games that I accept--in and out of season. I have to be really careful at camps that I don't overdo so I don't break down. I have to pay attention to what I do.

If you feel you have taken prudent steps and taken care of your body and your body still tells you to stop, I would stop. I want to ref for as long as I can, but I want to walk for the rest of my life and sacrificing now is not something I am willing to do at the expense of my long term health.

I hope that I didn't ramble on too much.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019