View Single Post
Old Mon May 17, 2004, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mrm21711
I am a varsity umpire and have umpired for 6 seasons. My question is in regards to the NFHS Rule Book (Baseball) in the front with the "Guidelines on Handling Contests During Lightning Disturbances." My question is are we supposed to treat thunder (loud but no visual) the same as lightning? There has been some confusion, and I know to always err on the side of safety but am curious to the "official" correct ruling from you guys. Does the sound of thunder immediatley call for the suspension of a game, the same as lightning would? Thanks
Treat thunder as you would lightning. Even if you can't see the lightning, if you hear thunder, it's there somewhere. Thunder is the sound you hear when lightning heats up the air to the point it "explodes."

If you can see the lightning, count the seconds until you hear the thunder. Sound travels roughly at 1 km per three seconds or 1 mile per five seconds.

Our local policy is that if the lightning is within three miles, we vacate the field immediately.

(I need to clarify this. What I described is the action we take in the case of single incident lightning. If we are experiencing multiple strikes, we are gone, NOW, regardless of the distance.)

[Edited by GarthB on May 17th, 2004 at 11:52 PM]