View Single Post
Old Mon May 17, 2004, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Warm fuzzy feeling good, but....

Quote:
Originally posted by Striker991
Even though it makes me feel good, too, I always take my compliments with a grain of salt. One of my mentors told me that if you believe them when they say you did a good job, you have to believe them when they say you suck!

Case in point: 1st game I had Saturday I was "unfair and one-sided." Complaining team lost 16-6, under the ten-run rule. 2nd game, I was complimented on my fairness and ability to make good calls on the bangers, again by the losing team (14-4, also ten-run ruled).

So, which am I? Sometimes I get a little schizo during my umpiring days...
I think it depends on coach...if they're all over you on bang-bangers, telling you you're blind, stupid, etc., then the compliment means nothing. But if they don't disagree and tell you you did well, then it probably is true.

When I was coaching, I had an umpire who was very good, even though we lost every game he worked (heck, we lost all but a handful of games) but I always asked him back. He called a good zone, had good mechanics, and good judgment. I never worried when I had him. As for the rest of the idiots we got, well...