Thread: Appearance
View Single Post
Old Mon May 17, 2004, 10:10am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Called my first games with my daughter this past week.

We did a 12U league double-header on Thursday, and four 10U games in a tournament on Saturday. (More on the DD experience in another post.) All ASA.

The point of this post is I spent a lot of time explaining the importance of a professional appearance - proper uniform, shined shoes (even though they are covered with dust soon enough), etc.

But what did we see at this tournament?

Several umpires wearing long-sleeved shirts under their powder blues - one black, the others white (yes, it was a bit chilly - but for gosh sakes, this is MN - how can you expect to umpire in MN and not invest in a proper umpire jacket)? One of the "white shirts" even had the long sleeve pushed up above the elbow.

One umpire with a bright red mask with tan pads. From a distance, it looked like he was wearing a red hat.

One clueless umpire with his chest protector OUTISDE his shirt. Thank goodness (I guess) he was wearing a jacket over the protector (not an umpire jacket, natch).

Sigh.
Well, that takes the cake!
Was the UIC pleased?

And, how can Minnesota be colder than it is U.P. here. Tom?

Last weekend, in the kick-off for local Little League, we had a Senior League umpire wearing cut-off blue jeans and obviously exposed shin guards. A blue Budweiser T-shirt completed the ensemble.
mick