View Single Post
Old Mon May 17, 2004, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Love it!

I, also am truly enjoying this stance. Out of curiosity I thought I would make a couple of measurements...

As I prepare for the pitch, my legs are spread quite wide - toe to toe 42"

In this position I can see the plate, pitcher, batter, and nearly everything else. My eyes are above the ground 65"

As the pitcher begins his motion or finishes his pause I go to my set position by dropping my seat - a very slight bend of the knees. My eyes are now above the ground 60"

My hands are lightly resting on the outside of my thighs. I quit using an clicky-thing-a-mo-bob-dicator last season - that's another topic but I like that change too.

I am well behind the catcher. Earlier, in a different thread, I had written that I could barely touch the back of the catcher's head with my outstretched arm... I've scooted back farther. I would have to lean ahead 4-6" to touch the back of the catcher's helmet. I'm not at a plate right now so I'm guessing that I am consistently 5.5 to 6 feet behind the tip of the plate.

When I first tried the stance, I found myself with my weight on the balls of my toes - I was leaning ahead trying to get closer to that familiar proximity to the plate. This was causing unnecessary strain on my calves and back. I now sit straight down and relaxed.

This last game I noticed that I still tried to inch forward (move my feet forward) for certain batters and as the catcher would move forward and back. By the end of the game, I had found my position and settled in so my feet were in the exact same position (distance from the plate) for every batter. Surprise, surprise, the zone looked quite similar now for every pitch. Sure, the up and down, top and bottom of the zone changed for the various heights of each batter but always having my feet in the same spots on the ground made for a tremendous consitency.

If you haven't tried it, get it done. It lends for a great view of the entire flight of the pitch - similar to what the batter sees. You'll love it.

[Edited by DownTownTonyBrown on May 17th, 2004 at 09:55 AM]