View Single Post
Old Sat May 15, 2004, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Hopefully, we all learn something new everyday. Thanks for the running play clarification; it didn't seem right when I wrote it, but I couldn't figure out why. Although I've been through the rulebook thousands of times, I never thought through the situation that was presented by batting "a fumble in flight." Even though the ruling is pretty well cut-and-dried, I don't particularly care for the spirit involved in this particular scenario. Almost anywhere else on the field, it's not anything to balk at, but down near the goaline here, what ends up happening is that the team NOT in possesion gets the ball by sending it out-of-bounds. Kinda bothersome, but without undue exceptions, I guess it's easier to enforce the way it is. And that's an important thing that I have stressed before on other forums--we can have issues with the spirit of the rule, but we still have the duty to enforce it whether we like it or not. It would not be fair for me to see this play on the field and give the ball back to A for an illegal bat just because I thought that's the way it "should" be.

J Ransom