Thread: Blowout
View Single Post
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Ump Welsch

I've seen the same thing happen in other sports. Had a buddy that did an 8-man football game that ended 60-0 at the half. The winning team was to the point of returning every punt back for touchdowns and their coach realized that their defense was keeping the opponents pinned back to the end zone, so he told the returner to call for a fair catch. Next thing they knew, their own offense would score on the first play from scrimmage. So, coach changed his strategy again. Free kick after each fair catch. The kicker got a nice number of free kick field goals that night. My buddy said he'd never seen anything like it before.
I do local youth football here where I live, and the coaches have an unofficial agreement to use second and third string players after they are ahead by 24. As officials, we have an unofficial rule that a team doesn't score when up 24. Quick example: one team had a player no one could catch...they used him on sweeps every play. After first quarter, game was already out of hand. So, every time there was a sweep, a flag went down. Same true for the team that would pass all the time. We knew who was better, no one needed the scoreboard to blowup to prove it. Sometimes (in our league--football) coaches score just to get back at each other...nice lesson to teach the kids.