View Single Post
Old Wed May 12, 2004, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Question simplify

Quote:
Originally posted by jjrye22
Why are some associations so worried about unbalanced lines? Is there some importance to it? As a LM/LJ where I am we check the backfield, and thats all.

We also use
- Punch back for off the line
- Grab the hat for on the line - but it is not mandatory
- Fists crossed over chest to indicate 4th down - clock will stop
- Wiggle both index finger to remind about 'Double Sticks'
- U or R will do a 'roll forward' signal (like for a False Start) to indicate that O is 'going for it' - pay out 4th down instead of kick, or an obvious 2 point PAT, obvious onside FK

and some of our older refs pat their beanbag on 4th down to remind about the fumble rule.

James
My reply is not necessarily directed to the above poster, but his message is the epitomy of this thread.

The manual states, "Poorly executed or unauthorized signals serve only to confuse the situation and impair communication." Although this statement is generally regarding signals used for the sake of the coaches & fans, it also has some implication toward crew signals.
When I started 3 years ago doing lower level games, there were as many different signals as the number of games I did. I never knew from one game to the next what the wing across from me was trying to communicate. For lower-level here, we don't have much of a pre-game; but even if you have one, the newer guys are going to see something different each time they go out. I have no problem with tapping fists one on top of another to signal "we're stopping the clock after this play, no matter what, because it's 4th down" if that's what your association preaches. What I take issue with is using a signal prescribed by the manual for something that it's not intended for. Fists crossed over chest is double stakes, nothing else. Rolling fists between the U & R should be for protecting the snapper, not a non-kicking situation.

We need to be concernd with unbalanced lines because they create players "carrying the brick"--situations where, if nothing else, it's not a bad idea to double-check your line count by HL and numbering & ineligibles by U.

"Punching off" doesn't help anyone unless you're a LJ and your HL actually counts all the players on the line by himself. I find myself doing it anyway--it helps me remember to identify eligibles on my side.

pat their beanbag? what fumble rule? That's NCAA, or it used to be anyway.