Thread: Lost Focus
View Single Post
Old Wed May 12, 2004, 12:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SMEngmann
Personally I don't think it's a good idea to confer with your partner on this particular call from a game management point of view. I think it's better to sell the over and back call or go with an inadvertant whistle. If you confer with your partner on this one, it will, unless you have a great rapport with the coaches, simply lead to more requests to "ask for help." On an out of bounds call, no problem, but once you blow any other foul or violation, I think you've gotta go with the call or the inadvertant whistle. Besides, if you clearly blew the call, your partner can then come in and offer help, which gives the appearance of officiating as a team rather than spotlighting the guy who lost focus. But the best advice simply is that if you're not sure, don't blow the whistle.
You seriously think it's better to try to Bull#*%& your way through it rather than get it right? Swallow the pride a little, get it right, make a quick explanation to the coaches, learn from it and move on. Why is an out of bounds call any different from any other foul or violation? If you know (or think) you boned it, go get help. That's why they call them "partners."

Z