View Single Post
Old Sat May 08, 2004, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MPC
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Originally posted by MPC

That might be what you posted, but it's not correct. Once F1 starts his motion (aka "commits to the plate" aka "time of pitch"), F2 can move out of the box, as long as he doesn't obstruct B1.

If F2 is out of the box at the time F1 starts / commits / TOP, then it's an illegal pitch -- which is a balk with men on base.

Stand corrected if time of pitch ends the moment it begins. You are saying that once the motion begins, time of pitch is over and F2 can move. I'm under the impression that the time of the pitch doesn't end until the pitch is delivered/released.

To clarify, I would not say TOP is over, I would just say, "when he begins a motion that IS the TOP."

This is very important to understand since many of the base awards etc., are from the TOP.

You stated it was a balk, when in reality it was NOT a balk since F2 waited until after the TOP to move out of the box.

There are many umpires who read the material on this site and who might not post replies and we just want to make sure that misinformation is not spread.

And as Jim stated, this is something that you really hardly ever see in a baseball game.

Thanks
David

[Edited by David B on May 8th, 2004 at 02:04 PM]