View Single Post
Old Sat May 08, 2004, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MPC

I'm not seeing your point. Of course I said if F2 leaves during F1's motion, I'm balking him under the guidelines of FED 2-28-3. Thus, if F2 steps out prior to F1 beginning his motion, that is nothing. According to the rule that you provide, if F2 steps out once the motion starts, balk. I'm fairly positive that is what I posted.
FED Rule 6-1-1 last sentence states that "The catcher shall have both feet in the catcher's box at the time of the pitch."

Time of Pitch is defined by FED Rule 2-28-3 "...Time of the pitch is when the pitcher has committed hinself to delivering the pitch to the batter. ...For the set position, the "time of the pitch" occurs the instant the pitcher, after coming to a complete and discernible stop, STARTS ANY MOVEMENT WITH THE ARM(S)AND OR LEG(S)THAT COMMITS HIM TO PITCH." (emphasis added)

If the catcher had both feet in the box when the pitcher, in his motion, started to the plate (as opposed to throwing a pick off to first) then it is legal and not a balk.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates