View Single Post
Old Fri May 07, 2004, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down Should have known better

than to read this thread... ejected a coach yesterday.

first ejection in probably 4 or 5 years. I wanted to yell also... AAArrrrgggghh!

Have worked in area for over 10 years and nearly every coach knows me by name or at least recognises me. Well so much for that; these coaches, V and JV were new and I hadn't seen them all season. So not much for recognition... then to top it off, I allowed my partner, a definite JV level at best, official have the dish for the Varsity match... that put me behind for the JV.

Bottom of the first, catcher frames a curve-ball pitch on the inside. I call ball. He pulls it in a little bit and continues to hold the pitch, then he leans his head over and looks at his hand location etc... I immediately walk around in front and dust the plate and say something along the lines of "Don't do that. Don't try to call balls and strikes for me. Don't try to show me up. You get to catch, I get to call the balls and strikes."

A few pitches more and one comes low outside. Ball. He shakes his head as if I had made the wrong call and then of course the coach now asks him where the pitch was located. He shakes head and shrugs his shoulders. I responded from behind him this time "I already told you not to do that. Don't argue balls and strikes with me. Once more and we'll find us a new catcher." Inning ends. Next half passes.

Now coach comes out about half way between the dugout and home plate. He's probably in his early to mid 20's. I'm 43 and have been officiating baseball for more than 20 years. He asks in a rather arrogant, telling tone of voice "What are you telling my catcher." "I'm telling him to quit arguing my calls. He's holding the pitch too long and shaking his head about my calls." varsity coach arrives to join the party. "Well, that's framing and that's part of baseball and you need to learn it." "What he's doing is not framing. He's holding a few pitches too long and shaking his head to argue my calls. A catcher arguing my calls is not part of baseball. And it is going to stop or we're going to get a new catcher." I turned and walked back toward home only to hear the JV coach now say "I know more about baseball than you will ever know."

Oh great. "You're gone coach. I want you in the dugout for the rest of the game. And I don't want to hear a sound out of you."

Last out of that inning is an infield hit. I trail the runner down towards 1st. BU calls runner out.

I return to 3rd base sideline. Coach jumps to the front of the dugout and starts screaming that I'm doing the wrong thing. I shouldn't be running down toward 1st. I should be running toward 3rd (there were no other runners). I should go back to umpiring school. I should get recertified. "I told you to be quiet." "What ? I'm in the dugout. I can do anything I want in hear."

"Coach you're gone. Gone. GONE! I want you out of here completely. No more dugout. Out of sight. Out of sound. You're gone."

"I don't have to leave." "Yes, you do, or this game will be forfeit." (I've never had a situation where I forfeited a game.)

He slips out one side of the dugout and walks a couple steps behind the dugout where I can't see him. I'm waiting because I haven't seen him leave. I wait probably 10-15 seconds then walk down and look at the area where he left. I don't see him so I walk back towards home to continue with next half inning. AND THERE HE IS at the other end of the dogout looking through the fence.

"I told you, you've got to leave. Out of sight; out of sound." "I don't have to leave. I'm off the field." " I told you, you had to leave or the game will be forfeited." "I don't have to leave."

I took the balls out of my bag, threw them across the diamond and yelled to the home coach. "Sorry. Game's over. Forfeited to Shelley (home team)." Varsity coach now arrives back on the scene. Asking that we continue. "Well, I would like to, but your assistant won't leave." "He'll leave." "He's got to leave now or we're done." He finally left - took him a full minute to walk off the field.

Rest of the game was pretty good. Catcher was still a childish putz - wouldn't look at me, wouldn't talk, but he didn't obviously argue anymore pitches.

Home team came from behind to take lead. Visitor, without JV coach ties it up in the 6th. Tied into the 9th. Visitor scores 2 in the top of the 9th. Home doesn't score. Game over.

Now I've got to file that report.... and remember to be cautious about what I read.