View Single Post
Old Fri May 07, 2004, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

SCYGUY, You say he was in the box at time of pitch but out of it during windup. Do does he come out before the pitch and get back in prior to release? Even if he leaves the box during the windup, I've got something. 8 defensive players must be in fair territory and the catcher has to be in his legal position for the ball to be put in play. If he leaves the box before the pitcher starts his motion, call time. If he leaves during his motion, balk him.

FED: Rule 6, Section 1, Article.1, Last sentence; "The catcher shall have both feet in the catcher's box at the time of the pitch." PENALTY(ART.1,2,3): "The ball is dead immediately when an illegal pitch occurs. If there is no runner, a ball is awarded the batter. If there is a runner, such illegal act is a balk. In both situatins, the umpire signals dead ball."

I had a similar play last week in a h.s. game with two bitter cross town rivals. Top of 5th, R3, 1 out, pitcher from stretch. Runner breaks for home just prior to P starting his motion home. RHanded Batter squares to attempt the squeeze. Catcher stands up and jumps out into the LH Batters Box prior to the release at the time of the pitch. Batter steps in front of plate and trys to bunt the ball that is 4-5 outside. Catcher catches it and attempts to put the tag on the runner but has to go thru the Batter.

Meanwhile I'm walking out from behind the plate with hands up and time. "Balk, Catcher was out of the box at the time of the pitch. No Pitch, No play, That run scores." Visitors win 1-0.

Coach trys to argue batter out of the box. Doesn't matter. Then tries to argue interference on batter with the attempt to make a play on R3. Doesn't matter since there was no malicious contact. Play was dead at the time of the pitch because of the illegal pitch/balk.

Coach goes fishing and says how can you see the release of the ball, the catcher, and the hitter at the same time. I say nearly impossible to focus on all three at once but read one step at a time. Ball is released, catcher is in batters box, who cares where batter is. I say the only thing between me and the ball at release is my West Vest. He then asks how many catchers actually stay in the box before the pitch is released. I say about 90%+ because both feet must be outside of the box at T.O.P. to be illegal. He understands and walks away.

Others on the site have said "We don't make explanations; we make calls!" I however believe and have been taught that if a coach has a question about the rules, you should state or explain it to them. By doing so and using rule book termonology, the light will go on in their head and they'll know you understand the rules. That's not cited in any rule book but it is taught as a useful tool. I do believe that the rule book says when a rule is questioned it should be addressed and not dismissed. Not in those exact words.

[Edited by MPC on May 7th, 2004 at 04:17 PM]