View Single Post
Old Thu May 06, 2004, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Running Lane Violation on Walk

Quote:
Originally posted by Stat-Man
From Greymule:
I'm aware of the ruling. However, I would think that, just as there must be a "quality" throw, there must be some reason for the throw to first. Offhand, I can't think of any. What's the play where the running lane violation would apply on a walk?

I can site something that happened in our game 3 days ago:
R1 on 3rd base; B2 draws a walk. F2 throws to F3 to ensure the BR does not try to steal second in an attempt to draw a throw (and have R1 steal home).

Does this help?

No. There is no imminent play at 1st base therefore, there is no reason for a defender to be taking a throw at 1B.

Is the interference call not for interfering with the receiving of a throw taken AT 1b by the defensive player? If the BR is entitled to advance to 1B on a walk, where is the play? BTW, just how often does F3 take the throw AT 1B? Seems to me, they quite often receive the throw away from the base. Once again, where is the play with which the BR is interfering.

This entire play by the defense is completely extraneous and somewhat "bush" in my opinion. Throw the ball back to the pitcher in the circle and move either F4 or F3 up to the base line. Once the BR touches 1B, the runner on 3B must return to the base or be called out. If the BR continues throw the ball to closest defender to make the tag. If the runner from 3rd takes off, the defender is less than 60' away and can advance to force the runner to commit or stop. If the runner stops, toss the ball to the pitcher in the circle, but keep advancing to an area between the runner and the plate. If the runner is stopped once the ball is in the circle, she must commit or be called out and she is not going to walk toward F3/F4 now standing in her path.

Yes, it takes practice and intelligence, but what is more important is the knowledge that a thrown ball is going to travel faster than the runner. Isn't that why there are coaches?

Another point is that if the ball isn't in the circle, that runner on 3B doesn't need to cover 60' to score. Then there is the chance of the ball getting by F3, then you have scored a run AND allowed the BR to advance farther than the walk would have permitted.

Another case of people trying to build a better mousetrap when the existing one works just fine.

JMHO,