Thread: Masks in SP
View Single Post
Old Tue May 04, 2004, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TexBlue
Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
It doesn't matter which game you are working, you should always be in the slot, and in the down position at the time of the swing.

If more umpires are getting hit with foul balls, it's possible they are not using the prescribed mechanics.

Mike that's a big assumption. You're still gonna get foul balls by your head, in the slot and in the proper position. It's the nature of the game. You never got hit by a ball off the bat? I'm naturally assuming your mechanics are excellent. We've all had close calls or been hit. Can't blame that on bad mechanics, it just happens.
I have never been hit by a batted ball above the knee. I've ducked a few, but I'm talking less than 4-5 in over 15 years. Yeah, yeah, I know, it only takes one.

I am always in the slot and I have worked quite a few games where there is no catcher in front of me.

Once I determine the pitch to be legal, I get low, sometimes lower than many FP umpires as I like looking up through the strike zone. You will see more strikes at that angle. As Steve M can tell you, I'm not exactly short or thin which is probably why I cannot get as wide as he can?

Remember, in SP, many of the swings are up which means that ball is more like to go up or down, not continue on the line of the arc which is where I am at the time. I'm more likely to be hit by a foul off the cage than directly from the bat.

That said, and knowing how Rowe's Law works, I'll probably get clobbered this year. Thanks, guys!

BTW, I didn't say it WAS a problem with the umpire's mechanics, but that is could possibly be a problem with the umpire's mechanics. Haven't y'all learned yet that I talk enough, don't need you folks adding words for me