Thread: NF vs. NCAA
View Single Post
Old Tue May 04, 2004, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: JMN, I couldn't think of one difference, but here are a few that come to mind:

1. Kicks remain live in B's endzone until they touch the ground prior to touching B (vs. automatic TB in Fed once they cross the goal line plane)
2. Enforcement spot/Basic spot for running play fouls--especially the exceptions for contact fouls by team A
3. Automatic first downs for personal fouls by B and for fouls against eligible receiver if pass crosses the NZ
4. Catchability of forward pass considered in ruling DPI/OPI
5. 4th down / out-of-bounds fumble rules
6. Allowing passer to dump pass when >5yards from spot of the snap
7. Offside (live ball foul) - encroachment (dead ball foul)
8. Number of legal forward passes per down
9. Difference in forward pass catch ruling when sideline contact by B is involved
10. Ability for B to score on a try
11. Unsuccessful FG outside B's 20 returned to previous spot.
12. NCAA game is 25% longer than Fed. I really felt it in my first few college games--especially with the more prolific passing game! I was a BJ.
13. Seven man mechanics make it so much easier. However, in many conferences, ball changing technique has become the 'tail that wags the dog' in evaluation.
14. Much greater formality in post game requirements (foul reports, etc.)

These are only a few of the differences. In general with a few exceptions (oops...can I say the word 'exception' when we're talking about Federation rules?), NCAA rules favor the offensive passing game more than their Fed counterparts (see 3 & 6 above). Also, the NCAA rules seem to be very aware of their television exposure--hence the specific uniform rules (socks, gloves, etc.).

In the vast majority of differences, I believe that the NCAA rule is the better rule--but are typically more difficult to remember and harder to enforce properly because of all the exceptions and the special enforcements. Clearly, the NCAA code requires more expertise on the part of the officials to properly administer.