View Single Post
Old Mon May 03, 2004, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChampaignBlue
"I would like to see this change next season."

Oh, I see your point but the change would need to be to give us the look back in slow pitch, if not you might as well automatically advance the runner at 1st because the defense has no chance. I think the offense has gained enough already without that too.

R1 at 3rd, R2 on 1st. Catcher throws to the pitcher and R1 takes a big lead and stops. R2 takes off for 2nd. If pitcher throws at 2nd he's giving up a run for sure. Now if we have the look back R1 has to keep moving and hopefully far enough to get picked off or retreat.
Nope, cannot happen that way. The part I would like to see changed is that all runners are handled individually.

If they are not moving when the catcher throws it and the pitcher catches it, they cannot go. If you are not moving at the time of the throw, you cannot steal if the pitcher catches it. In your scenario above, R1 has got to be moving at the time of the throw or they cannot go.

There is no need for a look back as the players are required to be on the base or the pitcher cannot pitch. Once the ball is caught by the pitcher in the vicinity of the PP, and a runner is not moving, the ball is dead.

Of course, they never had these requirements when the A & above were allowed to steal.