View Single Post
Old Mon May 03, 2004, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Hello, I am a LL ump and would like to ask a question if I may:

In a recent game, one team's pitcher has a number of nervous mannerisms, including bringing his pitching hand to his mouth (wiping his mouth w the back of his hand) while near the rubber..the opposing manager complained and the plate ump warned the pitcher several times.....in my judgement the complaint was valid every time.

...the real issue was that a parent of the pitcher's team (in the bleachers) was very belligerent and kept loudly catcalling the other manager for complaining, telling him to 'shut up and get back in the dugout' 'why dont you manage your lousy team and leave our kids alone' , etc. This went on for a while, and no one, including the plate ump, ever warned him or mentioned it otherwise. It was very loud, persistent, and embarrassing, although the guy didnt use profanity, as far as I know. I thought it was a terrible example for the kids.

My question is, is there a provision for the ump to warn/eject the spectator about this if it continues for a long while (ie, after 'the heat of the moment')? I know heckling is as much a part of the game as anything else, but that's more at the professional levels, so are the umps at this level required to put up with constant heckling of this type from one team's spectators to the other team?

Just looking for opinions, or where I am off-base. Thanks in advance!