View Single Post
Old Mon May 03, 2004, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

I don't have any books with me at work so I'll work from memory. Source was Harry's in 94 and Jims in 96. I can reference all of the pros there from bottom to top but I'll leave it at the classroom instructors of Paul Nauert/Mark Barron and Jim Evans. There were plenty more to reinforce the rulebook explanations during drills. One form of reasoning behind why it can happen and why we look for it outside of a throw from behind the runner is the fact that we are to move up the line behind the BR to insure he is within the lane. Otherwise, we could just camp out behind the plate and let the BU handle it all since the ball is being fielded from a position other than behind the runner.

As an example, we can use that throw from F6 that brings F1 down the line toward home into the runners lane. Now, we know that BR can still interfere within the runners lane but he is protected to some extent. So if F1 comes into the lane and contact is unavoidable, BR is protected. If BR established his line in some crazy position and ends up outside the lane and makes unavoidable contact in the last 45', he has violated the runners lane rule. You might hang your hat on normal interference but you'll probably be in a pickle with the base coach when you could just explain that he not only intefered, he was out of the runners lane when he did so. "You know that rule coach, he has to be in the lane the last 45' to be protected."