Thread: Not again Joe!
View Single Post
Old Mon May 03, 2004, 01:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
One thing that has been burned into me, 2-person or 3-person, is that you ALWAYS have one set of eyes on the players. Surprising in the NBA that they rarely followed this "rule" today, and it ended up biting them in the rear. Both officials were discussing a timing error, completely oblivious to an altercation that happened near the Hornets' bench in the 4th quarter.

Also numerous times during the game, Corbin was reporting to the table while Reichelt was chasing after the ball, and there were no eyes on the players.

I made this point in the other thread that I started about the 2-man situation in the Rockets-Lakers game. It didn't get much support.
I honestly believe that the NBA guys do very little 2-man and just aren't used to having to watch this extra stuff. The are so well trained in the 3-man responsibilities and all the stuff that "looks good on TV" (like speed in reporting and getting the ball back in play) that they have to make a HUGE adjustment when a 2-man situation arises.

Someone wrote about NBA officials receiving 2-man training in the other thread, I would really like to know more about this. Do they work 2-man games in the summer?

FWIW, I think that this is the final season we will see a lack of alternates at first and second round playoff games. It is happening too much. The league can't like it. JMHO