View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 30, 2004, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Now, could someone please explain the difference between an intentional technical foul and a just-plain-ol' technical? Why does this foul have to be either intentional or flagrant? I mean, I know the sentence in the rule book about ignoring contact after the successful shot, unless it's intentional or flagrant. But that doesn't exactly square with the other sentence that any contact foul during a dead ball is a technical foul. Does that mean any contact during a dead ball unless it's after a successful shot? [/B]
Actually, the 2 sentences do go hand-in-hand, Juulie, even though they are in different aricles of the same rule. Rule 4-19-1NOTE says that "contact after the ball has become dead is ignored unless it is ruled intentional or flagrant...". Then rule 4-19-5(c) - "a technical foul is an intentional or flagrant contact foul while the ball is dead..."- tells you what type of foul to call if that dead-ball contact is ruled intentional or flagrant- i.e. specifically an intentional or flagrant technical foul. If you think that the contact during a dead-ball is incidental, then you just ignore it.It probably would have been a lot clearer if the FED had put those 2 sentences together in the same article, instead of spreading them out. [/B][/QUOTE]Thanks, Jurr. Next question, when a foul is an intentional technical, what's the administration? Who shoots, and where is the ball taken for the in-bound? And it goes "on his record" as a T, correct? I know we've gone over this before, but I'm still (permanently?) confused.