View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 30, 2004, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

About six years ago, Peter and I disagreed, somewhat pleasantly on this issue. Peter was the first internet umpire to advocate "pleasing the customer". My problem with that then, and even now, is: who is the customer?

I have always maintained that the customer is the one who pays for our services. In my experience 99% of the time that is a league, or association of teams, not the coaches directly involved in the games as Peter used to advocate.

Another issue that caused some friction at the time was that I read Peter's policy as a blanket policy that should be followed by all. In fact, Peter, at least on one occasion, argued that little dogs had to emulate the big dogs in this regard to get ahead.

I believe that one needs a good deal of game experience before he can handle a game as creatively as Peter advocates. I felt it was dangerous to tell a rookie to work in this manner.

Since we are all products of our experiences, we can easily have differeing opinions on this. My experience is not the same as Peter's. Even the biggest of Big Dogs that I have seen try to bend the rules for the event of the day usually get muzzled quickly. A few, who did not learn their lesson are no longer with us.

On the other hand, when a league has made clear its expectations, the successful Big Dogs find a way to incorporate those into their "game management".

Dave Yeast's efforts are not new. His view is not creative. NCAA is, I believe, sending the message as to how it, as an association, has always wanted the game called. They do, however, realize the pressure that some coaches have put on umpires in the past and that it will take some time to get umpires to respond to them instead of the local divas.

I agree with Tim. In most cases, except where assocations or states place unreasonable limitations on transferring officials, Big Dogs who move around, reamin Big Dogs. Wannabe Big Dogs are found out in a hurry. Performance ususally tells.

[Edited by GarthB on Apr 30th, 2004 at 12:17 PM]